Best Travel Backpack of 2019: Complete Reviews with Comparison
Your travel backpack could be the difference between a successful and dangerous excursion, especially if you’ve opted for a design that doesn’t carry everything that you need.
Finding the best travel backpack can make sure that you have more than enough storage for the most important items during your trip, as well as plenty of other advantages.
Below are five of the most prestigious and user-friendly travel backpacks on the market for your upcoming trip.
Best Travel Backpack Reviews
1. Best Backpack for Storage: OutdoorMaster Hiking Backpack
The OutdoorMaster Hiking Backpack is the largest travel backpack on this list because it can hold up to 50L of equipment, gear, and personal belongings. Available in seven different colors, you’ll be able to find the perfect bag to carry a wide variety of items ranging from laptops to extra pairs of clothes.
Several of the main features of the OutdoorMaster Hiking Backpack include:
- Included rain cover: With your order, you’ll receive a waterproof rain cover which helps keep all your belongings dry in the event of inclement weather.
- Comfortable features: Designed to be easier for you to carry, the entire bag is made of lightweight and breathable materials as well as plenty of comfortable features such as padded adjustable straps.
- Plenty of storage: Aside from the main compartment, you’ll also have access to a number of large and small pockets for anything ranging from trekking poles to a sleeping bag.
- Padded laptop compartment: For travelers who bring their electronics with them, you’ll be able to take advantage of the padded laptop compartment that will keep your valuables secure.
What's to like about the Best Backpack for Storage: OutdoorMaster Hiking Backpack
- Easy to adjust while walking: The adjustable feature on the OutdoorMaster Hiking Backpack is easy to work with on-foot, so you won’t have to continually take the pack on and off to have it sit comfortably on your body.
- Great weight distribution: Once you’ve packed all your belongings, you’ll notice that the weight distribution in the backpack is superior to others on the market, as you won’t be able to feel more weight on one shoulder versus the other.
- Fits in overhead compartments: The OutdoorMaster Hiking Backpack is great as a carry-on for planes as it easily slides into the overhead compartment without taking up too much space.
What's not to like about the Best Backpack for Storage: OutdoorMaster Hiking Backpack
- Flimsy construction: For people who bring heavier items, this might not be the ideal bag for you as it doesn’t have any structural advantages such as a metal spine.
- Belt-closing front pocket: Unfortunately, the pocket at the front of the bag closes with a belt, which doesn’t secure anything stored in that pocket.
2. Best Backpack for Durability: Venture Pal Hiking Backpack
As one of the best options for hikers and outdoor enthusiasts who are constantly traveling through the brush, the Venture Pal Hiking Backpack offers the most durability compared to the other bags on this list. With plenty of storage and nine different color choices, it’s specifically designed for plenty of outdoor adventures.
The most outstanding highlights of the Venture Pal Hiking Backpack include:
- Durable material: The entire exterior of the Venture Pal Hiking Backpack is constructed out of tear and water-resistant materials, which gives you years of use without having to worry about wear and tear.
- Double-layered bottom: In the event that you need to carry more than usual, you won’t have to worry about the bottom falling out of the bag as it offers a double-layer of reinforcement. You’ll also notice the bar-tacks at all the major stress points of the bag, which adds even more reinforcement.
- Two-way zippers: With the ability to easily access all the compartments, you’ll love the two-way SBS zippers that are designed for stability and longevity.
- Multiple storage options: There are plenty of storage compartments for you to use to your advantage including two front zippered pockets, two side pockets, and the main compartment with two separators.
- Breathable: Ideal for hiking in warm weather, the Venture Pal Hiking Backpack offers breathable mesh shoulder straps with an immense amount of padding that helps to take away any discomfort from a heavy pack.
What's to like about the Best Backpack for Durability: Venture Pal Hiking Backpack
- Comfortable for hours: If you’re heading out on a 10 to 12-hour trek, you’re barely going to notice the bag on your back as its weight distribution is impeccable.
- Thin profile: For hiking through tight areas, you’ll appreciate the thin profile of the bag which won’t impede your progress.
- Easily folds up: The Venture Pal Hiking Backpack comes with its own pocket where you can fold the pack into when it’s not in use, which makes it easy to bring with you on trips without having to wear it on your back.
What's not to like about the Best Backpack for Durability: Venture Pal Hiking Backpack
- Interior lining may tear: Depending on how many items you bring with you on your hikes, the interior lining of the bag may start to tear away from the corners.
- Cannot be machine washed: If you have to wash your bag, it’s recommended that you hand wash it, as the water-resistant lining will become loose and spread across your bag.
3. Best Backpack for Flights: Hynes Eagle Travel Backpack
If you’ve been searching for a reliable bag that you can bring on long-distance trips, the Hynes Eagle Travel Backpack is what you’ve been looking for. This flight-approved hiking bag is designed with multiple storage options and safe storage compartments for all your belongings.
The Hynes Eagle Travel Backpack is a great choice for travel for many reasons, including:
- Three packing cubes: Along with the 40L bag itself, you’ll also receive three separate packing cubes for all your delicate components.
- Exterior adjustments: With the use of the exterior compression buckles, you’ll be able to adjust your bag while standing, rather than having to take the bag off for adjustments.
- Ideal for IATA flights: The Hynes Eagle Travel Backpack is specifically designed to meet the maximum limits for overhead and under seat storage on airplanes.
- Convertible design: Instead of wearing the bag as a traditional backpack, it is also easily convertible into a duffel bag.
- Plenty of pockets: There are several places where you can store your belongings in the Hynes Eagle Travel Backpack including interior slip pockets and a side bottle pocket.
What's to like about the Best Backpack for Flights: Hynes Eagle Travel Backpack
- Perfect packing partner: The first thing you’ll notice about the Hynes Eagle Travel Backpack is that it has plenty of compartments for everything you need, which makes it easier to organize your belongings before a trip.
- Thin-profile straps: If you’re concerned about your bag being too thick for an airplane, you can easily transform the bag to have a thinner profile so that it can fit in smaller spaces.
What's not to like about the Best Backpack for Flights: Hynes Eagle Travel Backpack
- Poor stitching: In terms of durability, the Hynes Eagle Travel Backpack has plenty of poor stitching that you should be wary of. If the bag is too heavy, the bottom seams, as well as the shoulder straps, will break off.
- Plastic components: For a bag that is designed to carry plenty of items, you would expect the stability components to be metal, but they are all plastic and easily breakable.
4. Best Backpack for Looks: Ibagbar Canvas Backpack
There’s nothing better than having a bag that makes you feel like a true adventurer, and one thing that you’ll immediately notice about the Ibagbar Canvas Backpack is that it’s designed with modern aesthetics in mind. This canvas bag is constructed with a strong attention to detail, which will surely have people asking where you bought your bag from.
There are plenty of features that make the Ibagbar Canvas Backpack a good choice, including:
- Multi-purpose design: There are multiple ways that you can use and carry the Ibagbar Canvas Backpack as it’s easily convertible from a backpack to a duffel bag, suitcase, crossbody bag, or even briefcase.
- Hidden backpack straps: If you intend on using this bag as a duffel, the backpack straps are easily hidden in a separate compartment so that they don’t dangle off the side of the bag. You’ll also find that the shoulder strap is detachable to help convert the bag into a crossbody design.
- Breathable straps: Ideal for people who travel outdoors in the heat of summer, all the shoulder straps attached to the Ibagbar Canvas Backpack are very breathable.
- Canvas and PU leather design: With the combination of both materials, the Ibagbar Canvas Backpack offers a vintage appeal that fits perfectly into modern trends.
What's to like about the Best Backpack for Looks: Ibagbar Canvas Backpack
- Ideal carry-on size: If you need a bag for airline travel, this is one of the better models to choose as it easily fits within the size regulations of all airlines.
- High-quality materials and zippers: Two areas that are typically debatable with travel backpacks is the quality of their materials and zippers. Luckily, the Ibagbar Canvas Backpack feels luxurious and can withstand months of continuous use.
- Great for teens: If you’re looking for a backpack for a teenager, this is a great model to take into consideration as it’s aesthetically pleasing, has a lot of storage, and is easy to use.
What's not to like about the Best Backpack for Looks: Ibagbar Canvas Backpack
- Must be washed separately: As canvas is a very absorbent material, if you wash the Ibagbar Canvas Backpack with other clothing, they’re sure to irreversibly stain the material.
- No extra padding: Unfortunately, if you intend on carrying delicate electronics, such as laptops, you’ll have to be careful with how you store them inside the bag, as there isn’t any extra padding for delicate components.
5. Best Backpack for Water Resistance: G4Free Travel Backpack
The G4Free Travel Backpack is surely designed to be an outdoor enthusiast’s best friend, especially as it has the sleek appeal that you would expect a typical hiking bag to have. With its superior water resistance and lightweight design, you’ll find that using this bag for all excursions is easier than with most other travel backpacks.
Some of the biggest highlights of the G4Free Travel Backpack include:
- Lightweight: The majority of this bag is constructed using lightweight materials, which makes it perfect for carrying plenty of items without any additional weight.
- Included compact pouch: When the G4Free Travel Backpack is not in use, it easily folds up into a very compact pouch that can easily be stored in another travel bag and taken out when needed.
- Durable materials: All the materials used to create the G4Free Travel Backpack are both water and tear-resistant nylon, giving you the long-lasting reliability you would expect from a high-quality outdoor bag.
What's to like about the Best Backpack for Water Resistance: G4Free Travel Backpack
- Incredibly breathable: Due to the limited padding in the G4Free Travel Backpack, you can guarantee that the bag is quite breathable, which makes it great to use for trips to the beach or outdoor hikes in the summer.
- Holds a lot of weight: Compared to other travel backpacks, this bag can handle a substantial amount of weight for its appearance. For example, it can easily hold 20 pounds with little effort and no signs of excessive pressure on the seams.
- Ideal as a daypack: You’ll find that the G4Free Travel Backpack is best used as a daypack and has more than enough space to carry an extra set of clothes, lunch, and any other essentials.
What's not to like about the Best Backpack for Water Resistance: G4Free Travel Backpack
- Limited padding: The main issue with the G4Free Travel Backpack is that it’s designed to be so lightweight that there isn’t any extra padding in the compartments or the straps. This doesn’t make it the ideal choice for laptops or anyone who has sensitive shoulders.
- Top loading backpack: Unfortunately, this bag is only loadable from the top drawstring compartment, so getting items at the bottom of the bag can be a hassle while on the go.
As someone who is on the hunt for their first travel backpack (or a replacement bag), there are several things you’re going to want to take into consideration before deciding on a single model. With the help of this buyers’ guide, you’ll know what you should be paying the most attention to when you start hunting for the best travel backpack money can buy.
Choosing a backpack that is a front-loader offers many benefits that top loading bags don’t. With a front-loading bag, you’ll easily be able to store and remove anything from your bag without having to reach into the bottom of the bag and rummage through everything you have packed. Another benefit to using a front-loader is that you’ll typically have more front-facing pockets that can hold the most important items that you’ll need to have within arm’s reach.
With that being said, when looking at front-loading bags, you’ll need to pay special attention to the quality of the zippers, as you won’t want to invest in a backpack with zippers that are prone to breakage.
Materials (Water Resistant)
There are plenty of different materials that can be used to make travel backpacks, but the most popular is surely nylon. Nylon has the tendency to be water-resistant, which can help protect your belongings in the event that you get stuck in a little bit of unexpected rain. However, water resistance does not mean that your bag will be waterproof.
If you are searching for a waterproof travel backpack, you’re going to want to find one that has an extra layer of waterproof material underneath the exterior layer of nylon. This will give you optimal protection against different types of weather and is recommended for people who will be venturing outdoors along with their new bag.
Some of the most important parts of your backpack are surely the compartments as they give you the ability to store plenty of different items with ease. The more compartments you have, the easier it will be to stay organized while you’re out and about, and it also gives your valuables a higher level of protection than stuffing everything into a single main compartment.
It’s important that you find a bag that offers the ideal number of compartments for what you’d normally bring with you, such as your laptop, water bottle, an extra pair of clothes, and snacks. You’re not going to want to choose a bag that has far too many compartments, as it would encourage you to overpack, which can deteriorate your bag and wreak havoc on your back and shoulders.
Padded Hip and Shoulder Straps
Every travel backpack worth its salt is going to have both padded hip and shoulder straps as these components are essential for distributing weight throughout your entire body and securing your bag effectively. It is important that you make sure the straps are thoroughly padded, as there’s nothing more uncomfortable than having nylon dig into your skin and rub against your shoulders over hours of continuous walking. In this case, the more padding, the better, especially if you’re someone who is prone to experiencing muscle fatigue and soreness.
Lumbar Back Support
When you start looking at the higher-quality travel backpacks on the market, you’ll notice many of them have extra support such as metal framing and cages that help support your spine while carrying a large pack. Adding lumbar back support to a travel backpack will add weight to the pack itself, but it will be well worth it over the long run.
No matter if you’re able to find a travel backpack with ergonomic support or specific lumbar back support, it will surely be far more comfortable and safer than regular backpacks that you would bring on a day trip.
As mentioned, plenty of travel bags are equipped with metal framing, also known as a support frame, but these components aren’t designed for your comfort. With the help of a support frame, you can guarantee that no matter how many things you pack in your bag, the materials and seams will remain secure.
If you’re someone who has had bad experiences with backpacks falling apart or fraying at the seams when you pack everything you need for a trip, it’s time to consider finding a model that comes with a metal support frame for extra durability.
Best Travel Backpack FAQs
How to pack a backpack for travel?
Packing your backpack for an upcoming trip can be a chore, especially if you’ve never packed one before. Ideally, you’re going to want to take the time to lay everything out in front of you prior to adding it to your bag, as this will give you a clear idea if you are bringing too much. Once you’ve settled on the right number of items you want to bring, it’s time to organize everything effectively.
You’ll want to make sure that you use as many storage compartments and pockets as possible to secure all your smaller valuables such as your smartphone, laptop, or even a tablet. You can then use any included separators to organize your clothes, snacks, shoes, and more.
The main premise behind learning how to pack a backpack for travel is to ensure that you stay as organized as possible and that you keep all the most essential items within arm’s reach.
What size backpack for traveling?
One of the biggest questions that novice travelers ask is, “What size backpack for traveling?” In all honesty, it depends on how long you intend on traveling for, as the more time you’re away, the larger your bag will need to be. Also, if you’re traveling with family, you might need a larger bag to store more items.
It’s recommended that if you’re heading out on a trip between one and two weeks (or more), you should search for a travel backpack that has a capacity of 50L or higher. For anything less than a week, 20L to 40L will be more than enough for everything you need.
What are the benefits of travel backpacks?
Travel backpacks have an incredible number of benefits, which is why they are so popular. Not only will you be able to carry everything that you need on your back, but you’ll also be able to have your hands free during your entire trip. Travel backpacks make it easier to go on adventures without having to worry about carrying heavy luggage, as they are typically designed to be far more lightweight than a traditional duffel bag.
Is a backpack a carry-on?
In most cases, yes, a backpack is a carry-on, especially ones that are IATA rated. These models are specifically designed to fall within the size requirements for most airlines, which makes the bags easy to store either under your seat or in the overhead compartment. If you’re concerned about any size restrictions, it’s recommended that you look at the specifications for your chosen airline.
Do you need a travel cover for backpacks?
Travel covers for backpacks are specifically designed to not only give you an extra layer of protection from thieves and criminals, but they can also help add an extra waterproof layer to the top of your pack. If you intend on venturing into the outdoors with your newly acquired backpack, it’s always recommended that you opt for a travel cover.
The Venture Pal Hiking Backpack is by far your best all-around choice when it comes to finding a travel backpack that will have everything that you’d expect. Not only does it offer an impeccable amount of storage, but it also offers increased durability and extra comfort.
The first thing you’re sure to fall in love with when you use the bag for the first time is how durable it feels on your back. With the two-way SBS zippers and additional bar-tacks along the stress points of the bag, you can guarantee it’s not going to fall apart as you add more belongings to the bag.
You’ll also appreciate the various storage compartments that are easily accessible, such as the zippered pockets on the front and the two side pockets. You won’t ever have to worry about rummaging through a traditional top-loading travel backpack ever again.
Finally, the Venture Pal Hiking Backpack is designed to be as comfortable as possible for extended periods of time. The added padding to the shoulders is not only more comfortable than other models on the market, but it is also very breathable, helping to keep your body cool and comfortable in warm weather.
With a wide variety of advantages over the other travel backpacks, the Venture Pal Hiking Backpack is by far your best choice.